Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Response to Writing as a Mode of Learning by Janet Emig

I found this chapter to be interesting. I especially liked Michael Polanyi’s statement form Personal Knowledge.
into every act of knowing there enters a passionate contribution of the person knowing what is being known, . . . this coefficient is no mere imperfection but a vital component of his knowledge (12).
This is cool – all of this time I’ve been trying to remain objective in my writing – as I’ve been encouraged. However, this makes sense; otherwise, you may as well enter info into a computer. The different experiences that each one of us encounters contributes to the end result of all types of creative work such as writing, art, music, etc. It’s what makes us human.

1 Comments:

At February 13, 2008 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Mary Elizabeth said...

I agree that personal experience can change the learning, but do we have a responsibility to be informed-even if we are not objective? We build upon what we know emotionally and academically. Sometimes we need to fill the gaps of the written word.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home